Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Surprising Showers

So here I am, again, at a moment in which I recognize the amazing gift I have been given in the sweet surrender of the Savior. The ebb and flow of life is worthy of a ponder once in awhile. It happens in so many arenas: relationships, professions, hobbies, and the spiritual life as well. Although this may sound odd, I believe it is important to consider the patterns of our lives, as I believe we see Jesus show up more readily when we are anticipating His arrival. Yet, He can catch us unexpectedly when this skill atrophies. On this day that is filled with rain, small surprises rather than precipitation are actually showering down. Coming out of inner-city Detroit only 2 days ago, I am shown that although I leave a place and people for whom/which I have hopes and dreams, I enter my hometown where the hopes and dreams I have for it collide with the other…and then these two worlds intersect with a third. It is at these “apex” moments when I feel the most alive in Christ. The Holy Spirit rushes through me like dynamite creeping along before full domination. OMGoodness!!!


Often times the plateaus of uncertainty cloud my view of the mountain-tops that await beyond. I hate to think that I once lived in the valley of my own perspective and not from the lofty view that He has of my life from above. Although I am not always given the opportunity, today has offered another glimpse of God’s perspective of my life. It is absolutely incredible to watch God reveal His glory through the “coincidences” of daily occurrences. When the timing of things unfolds so smoothly, I am at a loss for words; yet I bubble over with excitement. I knew He remained with me, as I have felt content for the most part over these last several months since deciding to use my degree in ministry rather than the public schools. However, God clearly reminded me today that He is working it out backstage where I am not given privilege to see. He works in such incredible ways. I feel ridiculously honored to take part in such a journey.

If you are asking yourself “What?”… I am sure you are not alone. I merely want to create a mental picture of my feelings so that I can relive them, as some in my life have so wisely guided me that such a writing exercise can do.

Yesterday, my friend and partner in ministry (Kev), shared our dreams with some very important people, and we realized that what we thought God wanted us to do may have actually been in preparation for greater things in the other town we have grown to love, Detroit. However, the positive responses of these other Godly individuals encouraged us that we were on the right path here as well. TWO AWESOMES AT ONCE!! Then, today out of the gray (haha…not blue skies) I had a wonderful discussion with a past colleague! The seed to a link between the church and the school was planted. This is such a big deal to me. The commencement of another dream unfolding before my eyes…maybe…I do believe so. I am invigorated again by His plan for my life. I am so stinking excited I can’t even stand it. If cloud 109 exists, I am there!!

Here’s the deal: I could have chosen to go to a different school and not met a professor who would have guided me into the graduate field I entered. I could have been bypassed for an opportunity to intern in the county where I grew up and feel led to use my abilities. I could NOT be going to the church where an extremely talented and Spirit-inspired individual has been called (the same school year I began graduate school) to guide the students in our area. That person could have chosen to NOT ask me to join him on this journey. I could have chosen to go my own path rather than God’s and said NO to that same offer. I could have been doing anything that may have prevented me from answering the phone today. Who knows? Oops! God does!! Wicked Sweet, lol. So there…I am overflowing with who God is and how He continues to show up in my life. Whether He enters in a valley or on a plateau, I believe He unveils the mountain when I need it. I didn’t even know I needed it, but here I sit recognizing this need and delighting in His grace all the more for sending it to me when I decided to be unprepared for His arrival. The best unexpected guest has once again walked through my door! And I am in awe!!

em :) <><